Volunteers are the lifeblood of any charitable organization, and that is certainly true with Affiliated Wood Carvers Ltd. Every bit of work needed to run AWC and produce the International Woodcarvers Congress is provided by volunteers.
Needless to say, AWC is always looking for volunteers. Volunteer needs range from single day to year-round, part-time commitments. Here are just a few of the things volunteers do:
- Physical set up at the start of Congress week
- Unpack and repack mailed-in carvings
- Assist in checking in of competition carvings
- Assist in judging setup
- Assist in setup of the display in the competition hall after judging
- Assist in classroom operations
- Assist in fund-raising activities
- Greet competitors and visitors
- General dogsbody (aka Gofer)
- And many more
Board of Directors serve for a three year period (limited to two consecutive 3 year periods), with time commitments consisting primarily of a September planning meeting and ten days at Congress in June, as well time during the year for duties related to particular positions.
Friends of the Board are members who provide additional support to the BoD and Congress. Some are past board members who wish to continue to be involved; some of members with particular skills or knowledge that benefit AWC and Congress.
Tax Deductions for Volunteering
Don't forget that the IRS allows certain deductions for expenses related to volunteering for an IRS-approved charity. Expenses that the IRS typically allows you to deduct from taxable income include:
- Car and transportation expense
- Travel expense, including airfare, accommodations and meals while volunteering away from home
- Other related out-of-pocket expenses
There are limitations and reporting requirements. See you tax professional, use tax preparation software, read IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions (at www.irs.gov, click on Publications) or read a good primer on tax deductions.
If you are interested in volunteering to support AWC and Congress, please fill out the form below, or contact a member of the BoD or the Show Chair.
Marie McDonough, Show Chair
International Woodcarvers Congress
Affiliated Wood Carvers, Ltd.